Are you looking for a professionally rewarding legal career in public service, where you can provide advice and expertise on a wide variety of matters across diverse business settings? If so, then our City Solicitor’s Department has an exciting opportunity for you. We are seeking an experienced Solicitor in the areas of contract and administrative law, to join our team of professionals. Our organization (www.lethbridge.ca) serves a community nearing 100,000 residents, and is committed to delivering services in a way that earns the trust, respect and confidence of the community. We are looking for a dynamic team member with advanced analytical and relationship building skills, who is committed to providing exemplary public service.
The Solicitor’s Office provides legal services to the City, its boards, committees and other related organizations, including services specific to an electric utility and land development operation. Reporting to the City Solicitor, you will provide legal advice and opinions on policy and process matters to various City departments; as well as City Council, the City Manager, Senior Management Team, and Administration. You will draft, negotiate and review agreements and other legal documents; prepare and approve bylaws and resolutions; and provide direction to outside legal counsel retained by the City. You will also prepare and approve contracts relating to all aspects of the City’s operations, including electric distribution; complex commercial land transactions; municipal planning and development; construction; IT; and community partnership activities. Responsibilities will include reviewing and advising on legislative and regulatory changes affecting the City’s operations. Additionally, you may represent the City in legal, administrative and regulatory proceedings; and may be required to attend meetings outside of regular working hours.
As the leading candidate, your professional background should include:
- Advanced relationship building skills and a dedication to providing a high level of public service
- A Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or Juris Doctorate (JD) degree
- Membership in the Law Society of Alberta
- 3 to 10 years’ experience providing legal services within a multi-faceted business setting, preferably in a public sector environment -- *experience in the area of commercial real estate will be considered an asset
- Expertise with areas of law relating to municipal government operations and relevant legislation, including the:
- Alberta Municipal Government Act
- Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Seasoned experience drafting contracts
- Advanced skill in analyzing complex legal issues, weighing competing considerations, and confidently making decisions and recommendations
- An appreciation for balancing regulation with flexibility required to creatively problem solve
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to translate complex, legal concepts effectively
- Excellent attention to detail
The City of Lethbridge offers a competitive salary and an attractive flexible benefits package.
For further information on this opportunity, please contact:
Rhonda Friesen, City of Lethbridge Human Resources Consultant, at 403-320-3923, or email@example.com
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume with cover letter, online at:
Closing Date: Friday, November 10, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
All candidates are thanked in advance for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Civic Admin. Association