Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Balzac, Alberta
Number of Positions: 2
$63,234 - $74,300 /year
As one of Canada’s fastest growing municipalities, Rocky View County offers significant opportunities for professional development. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for the complexities of rural and urban development. We seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
The Senior Equipment Operator will competently operate a variety of heavy equipment (truck, grader, front-end loader, track hoe, skid steer loader (with multiple attachments), tracked mulching machine, dozer, farm tractors and implements, smooth drum and sheep foot packer) to support road maintenance initiatives throughout the County, and comply with safe work practices, procedures and legislation at all times. The Senior Operator will be required at times to assist the Training Coordinator with training other crew members on the proper operation of specific pieces of equipment.
- Operate heavy equipment in a safe, efficient and effective manner as assigned, to include but not limited to:
- Loading and unloading equipment for trailer transportation to and from job sites
- Operating front-end loader for loading trucks with bulk materials.
- Operating backhoe to dig trenches for drainage ditches and culvert installations, or perform dig-outs for road repairs.
- Operating grader and attachments to lay asphalt repairs, perform gravel patching and/or regular gravel road maintenance and plow snow.
- Operating sheepsfoot, rubber-tired or smooth drum packer.
- Operating dozer.
- Performing daily pre- and post-operation equipment checks.
- Ensuring equipment is in proper operating condition.
- Identifying and reporting equipment deficiencies.
- Logging and reporting hours and loads hauled.
- Perform general labour as assigned to include, but not limited to:
- Culvert installation and steam out of frozen culverts (as necessary).
- Snow fence installation and or removal.
- Road hot- and cold-patching.
- Right-of-way brushing.
- Removal of debris, litter and road kill from ditches and roadsides.
- Ensure efficient completion of daily work assignments.
- Participate in and contribute to safety meetings and job hazard assessment reviews.
- Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant progressive work experience along with a valid Class 1 or 3Q vehicle operator’s permit.
- Competently demonstrate experience and operation on a minimum of 5 different types of heavy equipment (must include grader).
- Experience training, mentoring and coaching other employees is highly desirable.
- Physically able to perform demanding tasks including: bending, shoveling, heavy lifting up to 18 kilograms (40 pounds), and operating equipment for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, or work as part of a team.
- Demonstrate and execute safe and skillful operation of equipment at all times.
- Ensure appropriate utilization of personal protective equipment required (e.g., CSA footwear).
- Clean current 5 year driver’s abstract.
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience of basic computer functions (log on, check emails, open and save documents in MS Office Suite) as well as basic keyboarding skills.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs. Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.