As Alberta’s fastest growing municipality, the City of Chestermere has rapidly evolved from a charming summer village into a dynamic lakeside community for over 20,000 residents. The beautiful lake, excellent schools, safe communities, pleasant neighbourhoods, growing opportunities, and a 18 hole golf course all contribute to the ambiance of a family friendly oasis. By demonstrating Collaboration, Humour/Fun, Integrity, Professionalism and Accountability, employees at the City of Chestermere use their strengths and unique abilities to contribute to the vision of Chestermere becoming Alberta’s Oasis.
The City is currently seeking a full-time Planner ll (Current Operations) to join our Development and Infrastructure Services team. The Planner ll (Current Operations) participates in building interdependent teams that work to achieve their objectives and, in collaboration with other departments, the overall vision of the City of Chestermere within the context of the Strategic Initiatives contained within the rolling 3 year Strategic Plan.
Provide level ll professional, project, municipal and business expertise and advice in the development, implementation, monitoring, and continuous improvement of own functional area:
- Analyze, review and process all planning documents against appropriate principles, regulations and policies, e.g., statutory and non-statutory planning documents, Bylaw amendments, Subdivision and Development Permit Applications, rezoning requests, Land Use and Municipal Plan amendments, variance applications, building permits. draft and present Area Structure Plans
- Continuous improvement of the Town’s statutory planning framework, e.g., subdivision approvals, permit issuance
- Provide planning advice to staff, developers and the general public regarding legislative changes, legal matters and new developments, e.g., Corporate Leadership Team, Council, community consultation; address public inquiries, including complaints.
- Participate in inter-municipal planning processes, e.g., Tri-Administrative Team, Chestermere/Rocky View Inter-municipal Development Plan, Inter-municipal Circulations on an as needed basis
- Participate in the assessment of the current and future needs of the Planning team, gathering input and feedback, utilizing evaluation tools, analyzing and reporting statistical and evaluative data.
- Participating networking and facilitate partnerships with local, regional, provincial and federal subject matter experts and service providers, e.g., peers in other municipalities, inter-municipal committees, consultants, developers, maintain an awareness of best practices and opportunities.
- Represent Planning internally, e.g., undertake studies and provide recommendations regarding the feasibility of policies, projects, and services.
- Participate in the enhancement and implementation of City and Department Policies and Procedures within legislative, regulatory requirements and best practices, e.g., Area Structure Plans, Municipal Plan, Land Use Bylaw, Landscape Guidelines/Standards and Specifications.
- Represent Planning on a variety of professional associations and organizations, e.g., Tri-Administrative Team, Chestermere/Rocky View Inter-municipal Development Plan committee, Planning Commission, Subdivision Approving Authority, Subdivision and Development Appeal Board, ad hoc planning committees.
- Participate in sensitive negotiations, contracts and agreements with service providers and partners.
- Provide functional support to the Manager of Planning and Development on sensitive issues.
- Participate as a member of the Chestermere Emergency Response team in preparing and enabling the community to respond in the event of a local disaster or regional disaster.
- Consideration will be given to candidates who possess:
- Preference will be given to those with current operations experience, in particular sub-division experience in Alberta
- University Degree in Planning or related discipline.
- Master’s degree in Planning + 2 years’ experience
- 4 years of related and progressively responsible experience related to the real estate industry including land development in a municipal environment.
- Full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP) and/or Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI)
- Registered Planning Professional Designation (RPP) or eligibility within the next 2 years
- Clear Criminal Record Check deemed satisfactory by the City.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License and a Driver’s Abstract deemed satisfactory by the City.
- Maintain valid Standard First Aid CPR C and AED certifications.
- Analytical and creative thinking skills as a full working level member of the Planning team, e.g., analytical skills with the ability to solve problems, make decisions, negotiate and deal effectively with people in difficult situations.
- Knowledge of governance issues, e.g., policy interpretation.
- Communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form, e.g., maintain ongoing communication to anticipate and prevent potential problems, develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships with staff, the public and other stakeholders.
- Ability to act as an advocate, balancing the needs of stakeholders with the needs of the City.
- Strong work ethic and highly motivated, e.g., ability to work in a fast paced environment and respond to action requests and competing deadlines in a timely matter.
- Proficiency with MS Office, e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their cover letter and resume referencing Job Competition 2017-Planner ll by: 4:00 pm, Friday, October 13th, 2017 to:
City of Chestermere
105 Marina Road, Chestermere, Alberta, T1X 1V7
Attention: J Popoff
Fax: (403) 204-7681