REPORTS TO: Chief Administrative Officer
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the general direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, the Operations Manager is responsible for common services including roads and associated infrastructure; utility services including water acquisition, treatment ,and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment; maintenance of parks, green spaces, shrubs, trees and other plant life; administers contracts for construction and maintenance in these areas of responsibility; supervises subordinate staff; and provides support and assistance to the CAO and Town Council in matters relating to Operations. The Manager assists in the preparation and implementation of the Operations annual budget and long range financial plan. The following is not an all-inclusive listing of work requirements:
- Comply with all policies, rules and regulations of the municipality, the federal, and provincial government
- Handle routine inquiries and concerns from the public.
- Manage the purchasing for the Public Services department
- Create and monitor annual work plans for Public Services activities
- Operational Management of all contract work pertaining to the department. Work closely with and oversee engineers, contractors, developers and suppliers providing or performing services for the town
- Oversee all operations including of water distribution system, sanitary sewer system, storm drainage system, streets, parks, trees, shrubs, flower beds, and other infrastructure
- Implement preventative maintenance schedules and oversee on-going maintenance in all areas of responsibility.
- Manage and oversee efficient and cost effective operations of all vehicles, machinery and equipment
- Ensure necessary analysis of water and wastewater treatment as required by Alberta Environment is performed, and reported.
2. Budget and Long-Range Financial Plan
- Assist in the preparation of the Public Services Operating and Capital budget and long range financial plan
- Monitor expenditures against the budget on an on-going basis
- Ensure the cost-effectiveness of operations
- Approve the payment of contracts, progress payments and final payments and of all applicable Public Works invoices in keeping with the Town’s Purchasing Policy.
- Ensure necessary documentation is completed in a timely manner
- Responsible for implementation of policies established by Council
- Develop, review and recommend up-dates to policies in those areas under the control of this position
- Develop and implement asset management plans
- Maintain daily records of all necessary operations
- Complete special assignments as directed by the CAO
- Attend Town related meetings as requested by the CAO
- Prepare reports as required
- Promote health, safety, and risk management through-out the organization.
- Recruit, select, train and develop appropriate staff
- Apply discipline according to policy and procedure
- Establish performance standards and monitor employee performance
- Conduct performance evaluations of Public Works personnel
- Establish deadlines and schedules and assign work to Public Works personnel
- Submit time-sheets for Public Works staff to town office
- Resolve Public Works employee complaints and responding to grievances according to the Union Agreement
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of municipal operation and maintenance practises and procedures
- High level of knowledge and proficiency related to water and wastewater treatment, distribution, and collection
- Considerable knowledge in the operation and maintenance of public works equipment
- Considerable knowledge of all legislation that may apply to municipal operations
- Considerable knowledge of parks, horticulture and arboriculture
- Proficiency in record keeping and systems maintenance
- Proficiency in budget preparation and administration
- Ability to handle multiple priorities effectively and meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing are required
- Ability to effectively represent the interests of the municipality
- Ability to establish and maintain a high degree of public confidence and public relations
- Ability to foster and maintain a positive team environment, share work expertise and knowledge and support, train and develop other staff as needed.
- Strong attention to detail, good communication skills, ability to work without close supervision
- Continuing up-to-date knowledge, personal education and development in aspects of municipal governance, and organizational development as they apply to the position.
- Maintenance of confidentiality at all times
- A minimum of five (5) years of directly related experience in progressively more responsible positions within a municipal setting is required, with a minimum of three (3) years in a senior operations role.
- Possession of a valid Level 2 Water & Wastewater certification in all 4 disciplines, or direct previous work experience at the same level of proficiency
- Education and/or directly related experience in horticultural and arboriculture management and practice
- Class 3 Operator License with air endorsement
- Intermediate Computer Skills
- Additional training in human resource management, infrastructure management, and/or general administration would be an asset
OTHER: The statements contained in this job description reflect general details necessary to describe the principle functions of this job, the scope of responsibility, and the level of knowledge and skill typically required. It should not be considered a complete listing of work requirements. Individuals may be required to perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Qualified individuals may apply by forwarding a resume and cover letter in confidence by 4:00pm on Wednesday January 10, 2018:
Attention: Kevin Miller CAO
RE: Operations Manager
PO Box 609
Nanton, Alberta T0L 1R0
For additional information, along with a full job description, please see www.nanton.ca/jobs. We regret that only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Please note: This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.