TOWN OF ELK POINT
MANAGER OF FINANCE
The Town of Elk Point is a vibrant rural community 200 kilometers northeast of Edmonton on
Highway 41 located in the County of St. Paul. Elk Point was known for its fur trading and
surveyors – Peter Fiddler. The Town has a population of 1643 supported by a mix of agriculture,
commercial and light industrial. Oil and gas activity is a main industry in the community. We
offer one of the best educational systems in the Province from kindergarten to grade 12 with over
520 students plus private pre-school and adult education. Our 12 acute care hospital is supported
by 2 local physicians and a 24 hour emergency services that also includes 6 member RCMP
Detachment with a new building opening this fall. We have a very active Volunteer Fire
Department and Ambulance. Elk Point and area is also known for its talented hockey players –
Mark Letestu supported by a strong volunteer base. A community that is warm, friendly and
vibrant, Elk Point is the “Right Place To Be”.
The Town of Elk Point is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to assume the responsibility of Manager of Finance.
Reporting directly to the Town Manager (CAO), the Manager of Finance is a member of the Senior Management Team. The Manager of Finance is the Chief Financial Officer, Human Resources Officer, and FOIP Coordinator who is responsible for all financial management, control and reporting, overseeing accounting functions, conduct forecast analysis and monitor corporate credit. The incumbent must ensure compliance with all applicable legislation and will play a key role in short and long term strategic decision making while overseeing finance staff.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- A Bachelor Degree in Finance or Business Administration with major in Accounting.
- An accounting designation (C.A., C.M.A, and C.G.A) or working towards it, is considered an asset.
- A combination of education/training in municipal administration/finance and experience may be considered.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience at a senior management level in financial accounting and reporting field of a municipality or government organization.
- Minimum 3 years of supervising experience.
- A thorough understanding of the financial and budgeting process.
- Successful experience in implementing short and long-term Capital Plans.
- Experience with computerized finance systems such as Muniware would be an asset.
- Successful experience with financial reporting, budgets, internal controls, business planning and asset management.
- An ability to work effectively with elected officials, community leaders, boards and committees and public.
- Experience leading an Administrative support team, managing resources, developing training plans, mentoring and coaching.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and performing work with accuracy.
- Solid understanding of municipal financial processes and procedures.
Ensures appropriate and effective financial control systems are in place to safe guard the
Town’s financial and physical assets.
- Records and monitors investments.
- Knowledge of information technology systems and controls, developing and implementing policies and strategies.
- Knowledge of Human Resources and applicable legislation.
- A high level of integrity, confidentiality and accountability.
- Knowledge of Records Management and operational responsibilities, strategies and policies for maintaining and utilizing information.
- An ability to work effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards andcommittees and the public.
- Strong mentoring and coaching experience to the team.
- Knowledge of the Alberta Municipal Government Act (M.G.A.) and other relevant Alberta legislation.
For a complete Job Description please visit the Town’s website at: http://www.elkpoint.ca/Employment-Opportunities
Application deadline is January 26, 2018 at 4:00 PM or until a suitable candidate is chosen.
The Town of Elk Point offers a competitive salary with an attractive benefit package including a defined pension plan (LAPP) and a team work environment that supports a work life balance. Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume including a cover letter, available start date, and 3 work related references. A criminal record check will be required by the successful candidate as per Town Policy to:
Town of Elk Point
PO Box 448
4914 – 50 Avenue
Elk Point, Alberta
ATTN: Ken Gwozdz
Thank you for your application. Please note that only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. We thank you for your interest.