Under the general direction of the Manager, Environmental Services, the Environmental Services Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the implementation of all environmental programs/activities and corresponding policies & procedures. In addition, this position is responsible for assisting in the planning, development, promotion, implementation and evaluation of waste management and recycling programs for Lac La Biche County. This position is responsible for the management, development, and mentoring of subordinates. The Manager, Environmental Services is expected to assist the Environmental Services Coordinator to follow a program of continued professional growth.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Office/Supervision/Administration of Programs:
- Provide assistance with both short and long term strategic planning to help achieve Lac La Biche County’s waste reduction goals.
- Provide assistance with the implementation of innovative environmentally friendly recycling and waste management programs
- Provide assistance with the implementation of the CORE and Curbside pickup programs, and any corresponding activities related to the programs; including waste audits.
- Draft and prepare reports based on various data bases, to be provided to County Administration, Council, and County residents. Draft corresponding recommendations based on results.
- Draft and prepare technical guidelines, policies, procedures, bylaws, and other documents regulating environmental management. This includes consultation with other government departments and stakeholders.
- Draft and prepare completion of grant applications for applicable programs.
- Assist in preparing briefings and/or RFD’s for council or committees, taking into account various legislative requirements and municipal policy.
- Assist in the development and management of the Environmental and Resource Recovery Department’s yearly budget and interim status reports.
- Ensure that all required environmental and resource recovery monitoring is completed, whether internally or by contract; including watershed/water quality monitoring, landfill/transfer site groundwater monitoring, and any other additional field sampling/monitoring.
- Ensure regulatory requirements at the Federal, Provincial, and Municipal levels are being met for all projects completed in-house.
- Assist the Manager, Environmental Services to acquire all permits and approvals and on-site consultations required for County maintenance and construction projects.
- Attend any training, courses and/or conferences as requested by the Manager, Environmental Services.
- Perform Acting Manager duties in his/her absence.
Program Development & Implementation:
- Develop and implement environmental and resource recovery related programs and services, including, but not limited to:
- Lac La Biche Watershed Management Plan
- Beach Monitoring Program
- Watershed quality monitoring
- Lac La Biche County Green Plans (Corporate and Community)
- Lac La Biche County Riparian Setback Matrix Model (RSMM)
- Community group environmental education facilitation
- Mad about Science Program
- Landfill/transfer site groundwater monitoring
- Curbside Pickup Program
- CORE (Community Organics Recycling Enhancement) Program
- Waste audits
- Research, develop, and promote recycling and waste management programs/services for the landfill & transfer sites throughout Lac La Biche County. This includes assistance with the implementation of complimentary programs/services within other County owned facilities
- Provide advice for the enhancement and beautification of landfill and transfer sites throughout Lac La Biche County
- Annual community events and programs (such as Environment Week, Waste Reduction Week, Household Hazardous Waste Roundups, Clean Sweep/Large Item Pickup)
- Coordinate community stakeholder meetings, workshops, and open houses regarding environmental and resource recovery programs & services.
Supervision of Personnel:
- Supervision of Environmental Technicians. This includes providing the required hiring, scheduling, training, and completing year-end performance appraisals for all employees.
- Supervision of contractors as required by the Manager, Environmental Services.
- Conduct required safety meetings, and keep related records
- Ensure public concerns\complaints are being responded to, and executing required actions.
- Report any work incidents and safety concerns to the Manager, Environmental Services.
- Participate in environmental field work as requested.
- A Degree in Environmental Sciences, or comparable education.
- Experience in a supervisory role.
- A combination of equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of GPS/GIS applications and tools
- Familiarity with regulations and specifications outlined by regulatory bodies (including, but not limited to: Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development, Environmental Protection & Enhancement Act, Occupational Health & Safety)
- Previous municipal/government experience is an asset.
- Basic understanding of environmental and municipal government planning and development structure in Alberta
- In-depth understanding of solid waste management and solid waste diversion programs
- Excellent communication and public relation skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong safety ethic
- Must have the ability to work in a team environment and alone.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to read municipal and survey maps.
- Ability and aptitude to work in a computerized environment.
- Possess a valid Class 5 driver’s licence.
- Must submit a Driver’s Abstract, Criminal Record Check, and Child Welfare Check that meets the satisfaction of the County
Salary range $62,826.40 to $ 81,299.40 annually
- Lac La Biche County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including:
o 100% Employer paid Health and Dental Benefits
o Employee and Family Assistance Plan
o Local Authorities Pension Plan
- Full Time Permanent Position
- Closing Date: This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Interested candidates are invited to forward their resume in strict confidence to:
Attention: Human Resources
Lac La Biche County
Box 1679 Lac La Biche, AB T0A 2C0
We thank all interested applicants; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.