DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs and monitors the activities of the Public Works Department.
- Plans, prioritizes and ensures the implementation of public works maintenance and construction programs.
- Advises Public Works Committee with respect to all Public Works departmental activities. Prepares reports for the Public Works Committee and Council.
- Develops policies, procedures and programs for roads, sewage works, and waterworks, streetlights, drainage and garbage collection.
- Directs the activities of subordinates including performance evaluation, monitoring daily activities.
- Provides recommendations with respect to hiring, termination, pay increases and promotions.
- Responds to inquiries and investigates complaints from the public.
- Prepares departmental budget for Council approval and monitors, once approved working co-dependently with the CAO.
- Develops, reviews and approves engineering drawings for all department construction works and prepares tenders and contracts for various Public Works activities.
- Provides professional engineering judgement in the implementation of Council projects and department goals.
- Prepares an annual work plan and schedule outlining the manner in which the department will fulfill its mandate and assume responsibility and accountability for those defined or assigned annual objectives
- Participates as a member of the senior management team in planning for the provision of services to the residents of Moosomin.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Skills, Abilities and Qualifications
Ideally, the incumbent shall have a degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized post-secondary institution, with a P. Eng designation and a valid membership in your professional association (if out of Province, transferable to Saskatchewan), a minimum of 3 to 5 years of municipal management experience in a similar position or at a minimum, you are a seasoned senior manager in a municipality with a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology with a municipal engineering base and a member of your professional association.
Your experience shall include some related aspect of civil engineering, budget control, personnel management, and effective communication skills. The Director shall have the ability to organize personnel and assign tasks effectively to achieve department goals. The position provides for considerable latitude for judgment and requires the development of procedures and policies.
- Completion of Water Treatment Operation and Water Distribution System Class 2 Certificate of Competency would be an asset.
- Completion of Class I Waste Water Collection System Certificate of Competency would be an asset.
- A valid Saskatchewan Class 5 driver’s license with an acceptable abstract and a positive Criminal Records Check is required.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with staff, elected officials, contractors and consultants, as well as the general public.
- A demonstrated track record of strong leadership and direction with prior senior management experience preferably in a municipal setting.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Experience in implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs.
- Proven municipal experience in water and sewer installation and maintenance, as well as road construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge in developing budget estimates and evaluating programs/services.
- Knowledge of current legislation (workplace safety & health, employment standards).
- Understanding of community planning and development concepts and land development along with prior experience understanding Official Community Plans and Zoning Bylaws.
- Ability to proactively work with private sector developers in moving projects forward while protecting municipal interests.
- Prior experience in maintaining and developing public works, utility and municipal civic infrastructure and building assets (excluding recreation facilities).
- Ability to develop a long term infrastructure replacement program.
- Highly developed written communication skills.
- Previous experience managing public works personnel.
Under the general direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, the incumbent is responsible for the overseeing, planning, organizing and directing all operations such as Engineering including construction, design and development, Public Works, Parks, Utility and Utility Maintenance. Also, the incumbent participates fully as part of the Management Team for the Town to ensure a coordinated effort in the delivery of essential services.
The position has the authority to proceed to the suspension stage of the progressive discipline system for department employees. Actions could result in a major loss of time or resources and have a serious impact on the Town’s public image.
The position supervises 11 full time employees and 6 to 7 seasonal employees (including students).
Unique Position Requirements
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build positive relationships of trust with staff, Council and the public.
- Working conditions contain moderate risks which require planned safety precautions for limited periods of time.
- Entails moderate levels of mental stress and pressure.
- Requires a proactive and flexible approach.
- May be subjected to inclement weather when conducting site inspections.
- May be required to attend evening meetings and all regular or any special council meetings as scheduled. Flexible work hours are essential to meet operational requirements.
- Computer literacy skills with emphasis on Civil Engineering software including AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of current legislation (workplace safety & health, employment standards, etc.), understanding of municipal budgeting and knowledge of street construction and drainage systems;
- May be required to respond to emergency situations.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
Salary range for the position is $85,000 - $110,000/year and the Town will compensate the Director for travel in and out of the municipality as per Town policy.
Full employee benefit package includes:
- Matching pension contribution into Municipal Employee Pension Plan
- Life Insurance (two times annual salary)
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability 50/50
- Extended Health 50/50
- Vision 50/50
- Dental 50/50
- Employee Assistance Program
For Further Information
The primary contact regarding this recruitment will be Mr. Dean Yaremchuk, HMC Management Inc.
All correspondence or inquiries specific to this recrutiment can be forwarded to: