The Municipal District of Taber is cultivating a succession plan for the Assessment Department resulting from the planned retirement of a valued member by actively recruiting the position of:
ASSESSOR – FULL TIME POSITION
You are an individual who is seeking both a challenge and an opportunity. You recognize the value of living in an area that blends the amenities of urban convenience with a rural lifestyle with an organization that offers:
- A salary that reflects your unique combination of experience and education
- An exceptional benefit plan
- Hours of work that allow for a healthy work / life balance
- An opportunity for advancement in the organization
- A communicative work environment that encourages growth and development and celebrates team work
- To work under the supervision of the Director of Assessment to gain experience on the unique assessing challenges within the M.D. of Taber.
- Communicate tactfully and supply information to municipal staff and council, the general public, citizens, appraisers, realty agents, other municipal governments and the provincial government.
- Perform site inspections of residential, non‑residential, and farm properties to gather and verify assessment data.
- Ensure information collected is updated and validated on the CAMA system including digital photographs and diagrams.
- Assist to establish market value assessments in a mass appraisal environment by the application of property appraisal and assessment theory and principles.
- Assist to establish regulated property assessments by the application of Statutory procedures.
- Interpret land titles and all associated registered documents, including sales verification.
- Provide support in the analysis and reporting requirements of the Provincial Assessment Audit process for ASSET & provide information to the Provincial Assessor, as necessary.
- Assist with preparation and presentation of evidence to defend assessments as required before the Local Assessment Review Board, Composite Assessment Review Board, and/or Municipal Government Board.
- Superior communication skills, advanced conflict resolution skills.
- Diploma or degree in property assessment or appraisal related field from a recognized post‑secondary institution.
- Designation from a recognized professional assessment or appraisal organization (AMAA, CAE, AACI) or working towards such a designation, with membership in good standing.
- Minimum 2 years of experience
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office, Bellamy Taxation System, CAMAlot CAMA software, Apex, Matrix, Spin II, Milenet, and Marshall & Swift Valuation Service.
- Understanding of mass appraisal and application of cost, direct sales comparison and income approaches to value.
- A suitable understanding of the Statutes and Regulations applicable to property assessment and taxation in Alberta.
- A valid class 5 driver’s license.
This is a permanent full time position (37.5 hours per week), a 6 month probationary period is applicable for this position.
Interested individuals are invited to submit a resume to:
Municipal District of Taber
C/o Patrick Hanson, Director of Assessment
4900B 50St Taber, AB T1G 1T2
Resumes will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants; however only those invited for an interview will be personally contacted.